On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 10/16/2013 11:55 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>
>  I see your reference and raise you a reference back to section 4.1 of
>>
>> http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312136
>>

>  From the paper:
>
> "What of the crucial question: should Alice1 feel uncertain? Why, Alice1
> is a
> good PI-reductionist Everettian, and she has followed what we’ve said so
> far. So
> she1 knows that she1 will see spin-up, and that she1 will see spin-down.
> There
> is nothing left for her to be uncertain about.
> What (to address Saunders’ question) should Alice1 expect to see? Here I
> invoke the following premise: whatever she1 knows she1 will see, she1
> should
> expect (with certainty!) to see. So, she1 should (with certainty) expect
> to see
> spin-up, and she1 should (with certainty) expect to see spin-down. (Not
> that
> she1 should expect to see both: she1 should expect to see each.)"
>

> But this is where the basis problem comes in.

The basis problem is no different from the "present" problem under special
relativity: If we exist in many times across space time, why do we find
ourselves in this particular "now"?

I believe it is a matter of what information the brain has access to within
the context of the conscious moments it supports. The "now" brain doesn't
have access to the information in future brain states, and only limited
access to information from past brain states, so any particular conscious
experience appears to be an isolated moment in time.

>   Why is the experience classical?  Why doesn't Alice simply experience
> the superposition?

There various elements of the wavefunction corresponding to different
experiences for Alice are macroscopically distinct and thus they have
decohered and will never interact again. Without a classical information
exchange between the various Alices there is can be no awareness of the
experiences of the others.

> Is there something about superpositions that makes them inherently
> inexperiential?

Nothing more than what makes your state of 5 minutes ago "inexperiential".
It is only "inexperiential" from the viewpoint of Brents in other times.

Jason