On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 06:02:14PM -0500, Jason Resch wrote:
> > Across the many worlds you will find a nearly continuous spectrum of
> > persons from those just like you to those like someone else, and
> everything
> > in between.  Any suggestion of a discrete border that defines where Brent
> > ends and someone else begins would be completely arbitrary.
> >
> > Jason
>
> This is what Parfitt argues in his Napoleon thought experiment. I
> don't agree that this is at all obvious. It seems likely to me
> that there are vast gulfs of non-conscious configurations in between
> say you and me, without there being a continuous path linking us in
> the Multiverse.

If there is anything in reality that knows what it is like to be you, and
knows what it is like to be me, then we are both it.

> In such a case, universalism makes no sense.

I think the evolution of a person which eventually leads to all possible
states is only one of the arguments in support universalism.  Other
arguments exist, which are well articulated in Arnold Zuboff's "One self:
The logic of experience".

Jason