On 25 Oct 2013, at 17:30, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>>Do you think that [you] die in a self-duplication experience?
                                       ^^^
>> We've been through this, it depends on who the hell "you" is. Is "you" the guy who remembers being John Clark yesterday,

> We have already agree that "you" concerns the guy(s) who will remember having been in Helsinki.

Fine, then obviously "You" will survive and equally obvious "you" will see BOTH Moscow AND Washington.

In the third person view on the 1-views, yes. But the question is about the future first person point if view, that you can have, and you know in advance (assuming comp) that "you" (in the same sense) will see only Moscow, or Washington, as you will certainly not feel in both place at once. You are the one keeping an ambiguity by never distinguishing the 1p and 3p view, each time this ambiguity helps to make your point, but hen you fail to address the question.





>>  or the guy who is seeing Helsinki right now

> You can take this one, as we know that such a guy will survive the duplication (assuming comp).

>> or the guy that will see Washington tomorrow,

> Yes, it concerns also that guy, given that he has survived and he remembers being the H-guy.

>> or the guy that will see Moscow tomorrow?

> Same.

Fine, then obviously "You" will survive and equally obvious "you" will see BOTH Moscow AND Washington.

Not in the first person pov, on which bear the question.



And don't come back and repeat the irrelevant fact that each copy will see only one city because, if as Bruno Marchal said, " "you" concerns the guy(s) who will remember having been in Helsinki" then it is beyond dispute that "you" will see both cities.

True, but only from a third pov stance looking from outside to the two copies, but that is not what has been asked. Indeed; if you use your reasoning to predict that "you" will see both cities, both copies will refute it, as they see that they see only one city. The H-guy can reason from comp to predict that P(he will see only once city) is one.



And don't come back with a bunch of pee pee stuff unless the ideas can be expressed without indeterminate pronouns to hide behind.

The reasoning concerns person and the pronouns does not lead to any problem when make clear the difference between first and third person, that you avoid, apparently to evade the simple conclusion.

Bruno




 John K Clark





--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to