On 11/25/2013 7:29 PM, LizR wrote:
On 26 November 2013 15:17, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Most people wouldn't feel deprived if they weren't allowed to play hockey,
or go
    scuba diving, or take LSD, but if you are one of those people who likes
playing
    hockey, or going scuba diving, or take LSD, you certainly would feel
deprived if
    what you wanted to have or do was made illegal.

I didn't say it should be made illegal. I just said it's odd so many people are, ahem, up in arms about something that in most countries is, as you say, on a par with skating or SCUBA diving - i.e. a minority interest. (Or maybe most people aren't that concerned, perhaps its just those drug people who want lots of guns? But then if guns are mainly used for drug wars, why does everyone want them? To defend themselves against drug barons?)

And "The British" as an answer is well out of date. If that was the case, people would be wanting muskets and flintlocks, not semi-automatic weapons. But in any case, I'm sure all those westerns and war movies are a much more recent influence (but maybe it wouldn't feel quite so comfortable to admit that the glamorisation of genocide

Where is the glamorization of genocide?? The U.S. fought WW2 to defeat practitioners of genocide, when it could have just defended its borders and let the Nazis have Europe and Japan take China. And now you accuse us of glamorizing genocide!?

trumps a centuries-old revolution with no current relevance?)

The lesson was that an armed citizenry could defend their rights against an army. So the proper application of the 2nd Amendment is to guarantee to citizens the right own guns equivalent to the army's - in this case that would be assault rifles. In terms of banning guns to reduce homicides, rifles are used in only fraction of a percent of killings in the U.S. Almost all gun homicides are by handgun.