On 11/26/2013 12:24 AM, LizR wrote:

On 26 November 2013 17:47, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    Where is the glamorization of genocide??  The U.S. fought WW2 to defeat
    practitioners of genocide, when it could have just defended its borders and
let the
    Nazis have Europe and Japan take China.  And now you accuse us of
glamorizing
    genocide!?

I was referring to westerns.

You mean killing indians in fights? I can't think of a western that glamorizes genocide? On the contrary they generally depict the settlers and cavalry as more restrained and humane than they were.

    trumps a centuries-old revolution with no current relevance?)
The lesson was that an armed citizenry could defend their rights against an army. So the proper application of the 2nd Amendment is to guarantee to citizens the right
    own guns equivalent to the army's - in this case that would be assault
rifles.  In
    terms of banning guns to reduce homicides, rifles are used in only fraction
of a
    percent of killings in the U.S.  Almost all gun homicides are by handgun.

If people only had rifles I suspect that ratio would change.

Sure, all gun homicides would be by rifle or shotgun. But would there be as many? Handguns are much easier to conceal and to carry around routinely. You have to plan to carry a rifle.