On 26 November 2013 15:17, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most people wouldn't feel deprived if they weren't allowed to play hockey,
> or go scuba diving, or take LSD, but if you are one of those people who
> likes playing hockey, or going scuba diving, or take LSD, you certainly
> would feel deprived if what you wanted to have or do was made illegal.

I didn't say it should be made illegal. I just said it's odd so many people
are, ahem, up in arms about something that in most countries is, as you
say, on a par with skating or SCUBA diving - i.e. a minority interest. (Or
maybe most people aren't that concerned, perhaps its just those drug people
who want lots of guns? But then if guns are mainly used for drug wars, why
does everyone want them? To defend themselves against drug barons?)

And "The British" as an answer is well out of date. If that was the case,
people would be wanting muskets and flintlocks, not semi-automatic weapons.
But in any case, I'm sure all those westerns and war movies are a much more
recent influence (but maybe it wouldn't feel quite so comfortable to admit
that the glamorisation of genocide trumps a centuries-old revolution with
no current relevance?)