On 26 November 2013 19:41, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 26 November 2013 15:17, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Most people wouldn't feel deprived if they weren't allowed to play
>>> hockey, or go scuba diving, or take LSD, but if you are one of those people
>>> who likes playing hockey, or going scuba diving, or take LSD, you certainly
>>> would feel deprived if what you wanted to have or do was made illegal.
>>>

>> I didn't say it should be made illegal. I just said it's odd so many
>> people are, ahem, up in arms about something that in most countries is, as
>> you say, on a par with skating or SCUBA diving - i.e. a minority interest.
>>

> It may be an interest that is held by a minority, but it is by no means a
> minor issue.  It is a right protected in the Constitution in the same sense
> as right to free speech or to a trial.  Would people in most countries not
> be upset to see what are perceived as constitutionally protected liberties
> be curtailed?

I'm more surprised that people WANT to own guns, I'm not suggesting they
should be banned. Although having better background checks might help.
(That Lee Harvey Oswald, for example...)

> In the history of genocides you will find that gun registration and
> confiscation is an almost universal precursor to genocides and democides.
>
> Which is why I'm not in favour of banning guns, but I'm also not keen on
just anyone being able to purchase a semi-automatic weapon with inadequate
background checks. It's legal to own guns here in New Zealand (and in most
countries) but we don't have the level of gun ownership *or* gun violence
of the USA, so it seems to me you guys have gone way overboard. And then
make straw man arguments (like that video) presumably to claim that you are
the ones being normal, and all the other countries where guns are legal but
ownership is more subject to scrutiny are somehow not as "free". I mean,
"gun registration" is the law in most countries (are you saying it isn't in
the US?) and you've somehow conflated it with confiscation; which is a
straw man.