On 29 Nov 2013, at 07:56, Samiya Illias wrote:

I understand that so many deities and faith-systems and all the myths and fantasies in them easily put off any thinking mind. Yet, the more we discover, the closer we get to theorizing about everything, the more difficult it is to believe that everything just happens on its own. We may not be able to describe or imagine God, but it is also not possible to honestly dismiss a existence of a Deity!

I agree.

In fact no self-referentially correct machines can miss Her (or Him, or It, or That ...). But it is not entirely related to what we discover, as this can be illusions, or shadows.

I do agree also with Quentin, "God" as a concept should not be used as an explanation, as it is the most mysterious thing ever. So we should not even postulate it.

Compare with Arithmetic. Our intuition of numbers, or more generally arithmetical truth, is implicit and cannot be axiomatized in any way. Yet, some of those intuitions are sharable, and we *can* assume them, and then proceed from those assumptions to agree on consequences. But that process would make no sense without the arithmetical reality, from which we start, and this despite we cannot define it.

So God cannot be part of any sharable *theory*, even if it is what we share the better, (more or less consciously), just because it has no name, no image, ..., etc. It truly transcend us. There are similarities with the "set of all sets" which cannot be a set. But this can also be slightly misleading.

Greeks Platonists got this right (with respect to computationalism), and that is why they separated "God" (truth, the one) with the Intelligible (the world of ideas, the Noùs), or the world made of what exist (like the numbers, the dreaming machines, ...). God is no member of the Intelligible, it is beyond being. Like arithmetical truth, it is responsible for what exists, but Itself does not exist, in the sense of the existence of the ideas. Nor does matter, which for them is below being, and is where God loses control, and is identified with the Evil. (no need to follow them on this: in comp the only "evil" character brought by matter is that it can hurt).

Bruno