On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com> wrote:

>> I disagree, I think it is very clear. If things need to be that precise,
>> if a change in a quantum state destroys our identity then we die about
>> 10^44 times a second; and a consciousness that never changes is not a
>> consciousness.
>>

> > Do you see consciousness as a thing or as a process?

A process.

>> The real question is about our minds, and despite what some like Roger
>> Penrose say I think our minds are probably entirely classical.
>>

> > Why? If minds are classical then they are easy to copy, in principle.
> Why then are there not lots of John Clarks running around?

Because the difference between in principle and in practice can be huge.
There is no scientific or philosophical reason there are not lots of John
Clarks running around , it's purely technological; in less than a hundred
years, probably less than 50, things will be very different .

 John K Clark