Numbers are no less "immaterial"...

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/20/2013 1:30 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
>  No no. If the mind is classical then Nature would not bother making many
> different version of "the same software", no? I worry that we are treating
> the mind and consciousness as a "thing", as if we could hold it in our
> hands, when we try to make sense of it.
>   THis may be a mistake...
>
>
> Not as big a mistake as anthropomorphizing nature.  You referred to
> "minds", not consciousness.  I'm not sure what it means to refer to
> immaterial things as "classical" or "quantum".
>
> Brent
>
>
>
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 12/20/2013 1:10 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>>
>>  Hi John,
>>
>>   Questions
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>  > The non-cloning theorem disallows 3)-5) at the level of the quantum
>>>> state.  It's not so clear though how that is related to consciousness and
>>>> identity.
>>>>
>>>
>>>  I disagree, I think it is very clear. If things need to be that
>>> precise, if a change in a quantum state destroys our identity then we die
>>> about 10^44 times a second; and a consciousness that never changes is not a
>>> consciousness.
>>>
>>
>>  Do you see consciousness as a thing or as a process?
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> > Our brain is *mostly* classical.
>>>>
>>>
>>>  The real question is about our minds, and despite what some like Roger
>>> Penrose say I think our minds are probably entirely classical.
>>>
>>
>>  Why? If minds are classical then they are easy to copy, in principle.
>> Why then are there not lots of John Clarks running around?
>>
>>
>>  ??  Didn't you notice the tension between "easy" and "in principle"?
>> It's possible, in principle, to copy a Boeing 777, because it's a classical
>> object.  But if it were easy Boeing would be out of business.
>>
>> Brent
>>   --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
>> Google Groups "Everything List" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/everything-list/1NWmK1IeadI/unsubscribe
>> .
>> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
>> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>
>
>
>  --
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Stephen Paul King
>
> Senior Researcher
>
> Mobile: (864) 567-3099
>
> stephe...@provensecure.com
>
>  http://www.provensecure.us/
>
>
>  “This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use
> of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
> information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and
> exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as
> attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
> this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message
> immediately.”
>  --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>
>  --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
> Google Groups "Everything List" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/everything-list/1NWmK1IeadI/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>



-- 

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher

Mobile: (864) 567-3099

stephe...@provensecure.com

 http://www.provensecure.us/


“This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as
attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message
immediately.”

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to