No no. If the mind is classical then Nature would not bother making many
different version of "the same software", no? I worry that we are treating
the mind and consciousness as a "thing", as if we could hold it in our
hands, when we try to make sense of it.
  THis may be a mistake...

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/20/2013 1:10 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
>  Hi John,
>
>   Questions
>

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>  > The non-cloning theorem disallows 3)-5) at the level of the quantum
>>> state.  It's not so clear though how that is related to consciousness and
>>> identity.
>>>

>>  I disagree, I think it is very clear. If things need to be that
>> precise, if a change in a quantum state destroys our identity then we die
>> about 10^44 times a second; and a consciousness that never changes is not a
>> consciousness.
>>

>  Do you see consciousness as a thing or as a process?

>>  The real question is about our minds, and despite what some like Roger
>> Penrose say I think our minds are probably entirely classical.
>>

>  Why? If minds are classical then they are easy to copy, in principle.
> Why then are there not lots of John Clarks running around?
>

> ??  Didn't you notice the tension between "easy" and "in principle"?  It's
> possible, in principle, to copy a Boeing 777, because it's a classical
> object.  But if it were easy Boeing would be out of business.
>
> Brent

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher