On 12/20/2013 11:47 AM, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > The non-cloning theorem disallows 3)-5) at the level of the quantum
state.  It's
    not so clear though how that is related to consciousness and identity.

I disagree, I think it is very clear. If things need to be that precise, if a change in a quantum state destroys our identity then we die about 10^44 times a second;

That's what you can measure about a state. Per Everett's view the state isn't cloned, it's just a ray in Hilbert space whose projection on macroscopic subspaces changes.

and a consciousness that never changes is not a consciousness.

    > Our brain is *mostly* classical.

The real question is about our minds, and despite what some like Roger Penrose say I think our minds are probably entirely classical.

Except that random events like a K_40 decay could be amplified up to a macroscopic effect rarely. Certainly our thinking must be mostly deterministic because a lot of randomness would be evolutionarily bad.