On 03 Jan 2014, at 23:06, LizR wrote:

On 4 January 2014 04:31, Gabriel Bodeen <gabebod...@gmail.com> wrote:
(I'm expanding on the comment by Jason.)

The "P-time" notion, if it means anything at all timelike, says that there exists some uniquely correct ordering of events across space.

Consider these events: Pam's 3rd birthday party and Sam's 4th birthday party

The "P-time" notion says that either (A) P3bp happens before S4bp, (B) P3bp happens after S4bp, or (C) P3bp happens at the same time as S4bp. The "P-time" notion, having not developed in a scientific manner, can't offer any help in discovering which of A, B, or C is the case; it merely says it is the case that, in principle, exactly one of A, B, or C is true.

By contrast, the past century of physics concludes that A is true in some reference frames, B is true in other reference frames, and C is true in other other reference frames. It is NOT the case that, in principle, exactly one of A, B, or C is true.

So there's a direct contradiction. And "P-time" falls on the wrong side of the contradiction according to a whole century's worth of experimental work in physics.

Very nicely summarised.

Furthermore, there is (scientific) theoretical work (c.f. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121002145454.htm ) that indicates that, by exploiting quantum behavior, we should be able to build a superposition of one causal order and the reverse causal order between two events in the same location. If that pans out empirically, then the "P-time" notion won't even have the appearance of being a local approximation to the truth.

Now that really IS fascinating!

(PS  Bruno may even know one of those people - Ognyan Oreshkov)

I read "weak measurements are universal". He worked at ULB, still now, I think. I cannot say I know him personally. He seems to do nice work in quantum information science. We have a good "quantum information" group led by Nicolas Cerf.