On 10 Jan 2014, at 10:34, LizR wrote:

On 10 January 2014 22:27, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

I don't think that there can be a single or multiple processor computing "the state of the universe". In fact there is no such universe. The universe is an appearance emerging, from below the substitution level, on all computations going through our current state. A single computation can hardly do that a priori, although this is not excluded, but this would lead to a newtonian-like type of reality. Everett confirms that such a computation cannot be unique, which is the default stance in the comp theory, although we cannot avoid at this stage some possible conspiracy by numbers leading to a unique computable reality.

Surely a single computer could run the UD, at least until it wore out?

Yes; but the UD is not the physical reality. A priori the physical reality is not emulated by the UD, although infinitely many approximations are emulated. But the "real" (first person observable) physical reality is defined by the statistical sum on all computations,including all those UD-approximations, which might be or not Turing emulable (a priori not, but there are technical nuances, which I prefer not to explain right now).