On 1/13/2014 6:47 PM, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
Brent,

For God's sakes, the "characters in a video game'" don't know anything. They are completely fictional characters. You seem to have lost all touch with reality in your zeal to find something to criticize. I can't believe we are actually having this discussion... Do you also believe ghosts, trolls and fairies "know things"?

Do you believe computations can realize beings that know things (it's a consequence of your theory if I'm not mistaken). What does it take to "know things"? You never answered my question as to what it would take to make a conscious robot. You evaded it by saying "conscious" wasn't well defined. And I agree that there are levels and kinds of consciousness. But choose one or two - what would it take to make a robot that had that kind of consciousness. What would it take for a robot "know things"? Does the Mars Rover know things? anything?