Brent,

Again, you are making the mistake of thinking consciousness is some single
state that things either have or don't have. There is actually a continuous
non-linear spectrum from a thermostat through a mars rover through all
biological organisms to a human and possibly beyond. Each of these has an
awareness (I call it Xperience) defined strictly in terms of its actual
structure and how that works. All Xperience is simply alteration of the
forms of something in computational interaction with other forms, so
properly speaking every event in the universe is an Xperience so in that
sense everything is the universe has some form of what could be called
proto-consciousness.

Where you want to define 'actual consciousness' on this spectrum is pretty
much an arbitrary definition. However it is defined, consciousness is
simply the same old generic Xperience which is fundamental to computational
reality. Normally consciousness is defined to denote some level of
self-descriptive Xperience, in the sense that there are internal
computational forms that tell an organism what it is Xperiencing and what
its state is and how it is changing.

So the answer to your questions is pretty much a matter of how
consciousness is defined. In all cases it's not any soul or ghost in the
machine added to a machine, biological or otherwise, but the operational
consequences of the structure of that machine, and its nature is strictly
determined by the operation of those actual structures.

Edgar