On 18 January 2014 19:02, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/17/2014 8:17 PM, LizR wrote:
>
> OK, I withdraw the incredibly. I'm just going by what folks tell me on
> this, plus no doubt a natural tendency towards hyperbole.
>
>  So we still have the properties of water and carbon and "god knows what
> else".  Given the number of elements that don't assemble into chain
> molecules, or liquids that don't float when they solidify .... hm .... let
> me know if we ever reach the point where incredibleness can legitimately be
> invoked, will you?
>

> The cosmological constant seemed to be incredibly fine-tuned as a
> near-zero remnant of the quantum-vacuum energy density.  But the
> holographic principle may have solved that.
>
> Wasn't inflation supposed to fix a similar problem?

I was thinking more of the properties of matter which allow stars and
planets and life to exist than the cosmological constant, although that may
be very fine tuned too. I must admit that the homogeneity and isotropy of
the universe look so smooth above some scale (I think it's around a few 100
million light years) that there is probably something fairly fundamental
smoothing it off. Wouldn't we otherwise expect the universe to be
drastically non-uniform with us just fortunate enough to be in a "pocket of
smoothness" ? (Or maybe it's easier for whatever-it-is to operate on the
whole universe, giving us an "unlikely" flat one...???)