On 17 January 2014 20:55, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> number of computations can be carried out in a finite time. Also, within
>> the game I got a solution to P vs NP so I got the Millennium Prize!
> Well those are not physical laws... but yes you could anyway by deluding
> all self aware creature in the virtual world thinking so, and anytime they
> would hint that isn't true, change their mind... that would certainly
> affect their consciousness and free will... but it could be done in
> principle.

You said "we can make up any rules we want" in the virtual worlds.... But I
know you really meant physical laws, I was just trying to make a joke (the
bit at the end about "I'll get my coat" is normally used to indicate that
the comment above was a bad joke, and the audience is now booing me off the

I think a more important point is that we can't make up *any* physical
laws, only ones compatible with the existence of the virtual beings inside
the game. Of course real-life video games are far too simple for a virtual
being to be able to find the physical laws, they aren't rendered down to
the level of atoms, so an in-game scientist would soon find their world was
built from pixels and suchlike. But we assume a VR *could* be, for the sake
of argument...

A concrete example might be to render a world in which the ratio between
certain constants had a different value. Whether this world would generate
observers if run from time zero would be an interesting research project...