On 1/17/2014 3:13 PM, LizR wrote:
Indeed it would be very strange, perhaps verging on miraculous. I believe just the nuclear resonance discovered by Hoyle alone is already incredibly fine tuned, after which we have the amazing properties of carbon and water, and the cosmological flatness and god (ahem) knows what else.

Hoyle predicted that there had to be an excited state of C^12 at 7.7Mev in order to produce the observed abundance of carbon. It was observed at 7.656Mev. But it was shown by Livio, M. et al. (1989). "The Anthropic Significance of the Existence of an Excited State of C12." Nature 340, 281-284, that essentially the same amount would be produced by a resonance between 7.596Mev and 7.716Mev. Even more would be produced with a lower resonance down to 7.3367Mev, the difference between Be^8 + He^4 and C^12. And carbon sufficient for life would be produced up to 7.933Mev. Whether an 8% range is fine-tuned or not, I don't think it's "incredibly fine-tuned".

Brent