Dear LizR,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 January 2014 02:22, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear LizR,
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:40 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, there you have an assumption right there! (Did I mention
>>> Pythagoras? A million schoolchildren know that his theorem is "separable
>>> from the observer" because they had to be taught it.)
>>>

>> Yes, it is an assumption. Are those schoolchildren observers? Do they
>> comprehend in some small way what a^2+b^2=c^2 represents? The point is that
>> a representation of a thing is not the thing unless it IS the thing. Is a
>> number merely a pattern of chalk on the blackboard? What about a different
>> pattern of dots on a piece of paper, could it represent the same referent?
>>

> Yes, it could.
>

>>     Separability is a tricky and subtle concept...
>>

> Not from that example, that seems crystal clear! :-)
> I am distinguishing the physical process and the representations; there
> is not a one-to-one and onto map between the two.

>>> I this is considered in some way significant, I assume there is some
>>> confusion between the representation with the thing being represented.
>>>

>> What is the relation between the two? My proposition is that there is a
>> relation between the category of Representations and the category of things
>> being represented (or "objects"). This relation is an isomorphism but not
>> always bijective.

>>> This sounds like a straw man. Who has claimed such a thing? (apart from
>>> the afoirementioned schoolchildren, who would, I am sure, think knowledge
>>> was indeed being "projected into their minds by a mysterious process" !)
>>>

>> Do you have a theory of knowledge that you use? Would this one be OK?
>> http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/en/russell1.htm
>>
>> Russell does not really answer the question... I am trying to wade
>> through the ambiguity and point out that what ever the means that knowledge
>> comes to pass there is both a physical process and a logical (mental?)
>> process and these are not one and the same process.
>>

> I would say the physical process instantiates the logical one.

And the logical process, at least, re-presents the physical process. We
get a closed loop if we have full algebraic closure and a bijection between
the two sides of the proverbial coin.

>>> I'm afraid I am generally suspicious of people whose main aim is to show
>>> that some other (often imaginary) view is wrong, rather than to attempt to
>>> demonstrate why their view is likely to be correct.
>>>

>> I agree. I am trying exactly not to do that...
>>

> Good. We've had an example of that on this very forum recently, so I may
> be a bit predisposed to react against such... (or maybe doing the same
> thing myself, in a meta sort of way)

:-)

>>> So we assume, certainly. That doesn't stop us being able to hypothesise
>>> that there are things "out there", though, and arguably with a certain
>>> degree of success.

>>> I'll have a look at that, but I don't have time for reading endless
>>> papers so a precis is always appreciated!

>> My takeaway of the paper is that it argues for a Wheelerian
>> "participatory" universe concept. A plurality of observers and the
>> interactions amongst them constrain the content of observation. I see this
>> as a defining the process that creates realities; realities are not defined
>> by a priori fiat.
>>

> Well this is certainly *possible*. I mean, no logical contradiction
> springs to mind. But one needs (as with comp) to start with a theory of
> what an observer is, I imagine...

I really like Donald Hoffman's Interface theory's "agent" as the observer
as an adjunct to Bruno's definition! http://youtu.be/dqDP34a-epI

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher

Mobile: (864) 567-3099

stephe...@provensecure.com

 http://www.provensecure.us/

"This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
immediately."