On 7 March 2014 15:12, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The question you pose to H in step 3 is badly formed. You ask H, 'what is
> the probability that you will see M' but this question clearly presupposes
> the idea that there will be only one unique successor of H. The only
> question that is really fitting in the experimental set up is: "what is the
> probability that either of your two successors sees M". Or, if you want to
> keep the questions phrased entirely in 1p then the correct question is:
> "what is the probability that (you in M will see M) and (you in W will see
> W)?" And the answer to that *is* simple and obvious. It is 1.
>
> It seems to me this is at the crux of your argument with Clark. The
> question you phrase in fact implies that only one successor will embody
> your sense of self, your 'I'ness. 'What is the probability that you will
> see x': there is no recognition of duplication in the question, and so
> pronouns become altogether confusing and all participants begin to wonder
> who in fact is who.

I agree, given the context, the question is badly posed. However, I know
what it means - the same as when you ask a scientist what is the
probability that the Geiger counter will click in the next minute or the
photon will go through the semi-silvered mirror, and they say "50%" even
though they believe the MWI to be the correct interpretation of QM. It
simply shows that given the assumptions, there is a first person
indeterminacy in this situation, as Everett showed occurs in the MWI.

That is all it shows, or needs to show...