On 26 June 2014 04:33, Kim Jones <kimjo...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

*All political and sociological phenomena whatsoever CAN be reduced without
loss to the behaviour and relations of individual human beings.*

Yes of course, but that was my point. I offered the analogy as a toy model
of 3p reductionism per se. It's pretty clear that when we talking about,
say, a country having opinions or character, that this is merely a manner
of speaking. If we cared to, this manner of speaking could be reduced
without loss to the behaviour and relations of the individual human beings
who play the role of the "fundamental entities" in this reduction. However
it seems, for some reason, to be less obvious to most people in the case of
*physical* reductionism. Actually the reason is perhaps not so mysterious
after all, as it is difficult not to take for granted what is constantly
staring us in the face - hence the frequent confusion between what should
be considered ontologically, as opposed to epistemologically, basic.

But on reflection, can we really countenance an appeal to one convenient
fiction (computation) to explain another (consciousness) given a prior
commitment to the exhaustive hierarchical reducibility of both to the
ontological "basement level" of explanation? And in relying on
"epistemological fictions" in general to account for *epistemology itself*
are we not thereby in serious peril of merely arguing in a circle?

*If Bruno is right the only thing that is real are persons who are
essentially minds or computational relations anyway. Bruno is not saying
there is no sunstrate or 'hypothese'. He's dropping continual heavy hints
as to what it is. But, we just can't really describe that with a mind. The
hammer cannot hit itself. Blame Gödel or someone...*

Well, I've said before that I originally had misgivings that Bruno's schema
was vulnerable to a similar analysis as I have given above - i.e. that it
was in the end an exhaustive reductionism, in this case with number
relations as the "basement level". But actually, on reflection, this cannot
be the case as it turns out to be impossible to reduce comp to number
relations tout court *without loss*. In fact, not less than everything
would be lost in such a reduction (assuming comp to be correct, of course):
the whole of physics, the entire possibility of observation, the whole kit
and caboodle. The emulation of computation and the universal machine in
arithmetic - with the concomitant umbilical connection to arithmetical
truth - make any straightforward hierarchical 3p reduction, along the lines
of physicalism, impossible in principle.

The totality of computation implies both the FPI (the "indeterminism" at
the heart of determinism) and a fundamental "asymmetry of measure". Taken
together, these motivate a principled explanation of a consistent set of
observable (indexical) physical appearances, abstracted, as it were, from
the dross of the totality, by the unequal attention of a generalised
universal observer. Indeed the systemic inter-dependence of its explanatory
entities make a schema of this sort, as Bruno is wont to say, a veritable
"vaccine" against reductionism.

But is it correct? That's another question.

David