On 08 Jul 2015, at 03:16, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​ that's a pretty dull thought experiment. if everything in the universe will get a cup of coffee then it doesn't matter what the referent to "you" is because whatever it is he she or it will get some coffee. What's your point? ​

​> ​If you agree that P(experience of getting a cup of coffee soon") = 1,

​If everything and everyone will ​get coffee then obviously I will get coffee too regardless of what "I" means. And I still don't see your point.

​> ​then you have to agree that​ P(experience of opening the door and writing W or opening the door and writing M in a personal diary) = 1,

​Or? Is that a exclusive or? If it's a OR gate then P=1. If it's a XOR gate then P=0.

​> ​and that​ P(experience of writing "W and M" in a personal diary) = 0.

​Nonsense. I can show you the diaries proving that the Helsinki Man did write "I see Moscow" AND did write "I see Washington". ​

Yes, but

[(I see Moscow) and (I see Washington)]

describes two different, and exclusive, first person experience. It is not the same as

(I see Washington and Moscow).

None write "I see Moscow and Washington". Each one see, as you say here, only one city. So, if you agree that P(coffee) = one because both get coffee, you have to agree that both confirms in the same way that P("one city") = 1 and P("W or M") = 1 (with "or" being any "or" you want: the usual logical non exclusive or, or the "xor"). And P("W and M") is zero as the experience (I see Washington and Moscow) never occurs to anybody.

So, you are here again confusing the 3-1 view (an outsider description of the first person experiences (plural) of the two copies, and the 1- views, which both (thus all, at that time), like the coffee experience, have the experience of feeling to be in one city.

​> ​you can predict in advance that after pushing the button, you are in front of *one* door, and that behind that door there is *one* precise city, and that you have no clue which one it could be.

​Maybe that's what you would predict only you know that, but I know for a fact that's not what I would predict. I would say "I the Helsinki Man predict that ​I will see Moscow AND Washington"

Sure, but that does not entail that after pushing the button the helsinki man will see both city at once. Whoever the Helsinki man will feel to be, it can only be either the W-man, or the M-man, and never both at once.

You keep confusing the 3-1 view and the 1-views accessible to the Helsinki man.

; and events would later prove that the prediction was correct.

...because you put it in an ambiguous way.

"I the Helsinki Man predict that ​I will see Moscow AND Washington" is correct if "I-the helsinki man" refers to two persons, but after the duplication, "I-the Helsinki man" refers to two exclusive and incompatible FIRST-PERSON EXPERIENCES, as you have just said to Terren. And in that sense, which is the sense of the question asked in Helsinki, the events later prove that the "and" prediction was incorrect. Both refute that they see W and M. Both confirms that they get coffee and that in only one city.

Not that predictions, good bad or mediocre, have anything to do with the nature of personal identity or consciousness.

This is wrong, and irrelevant, also. to have a persistent personal identity, some amount of prediction must be verified. But that has nothing to do with UDA and its goal.

Bruno

​  John K Clark​