On 21 Jul 2015, at 00:05, chris peck wrote:

>> the question asked to him in Helsnki concerns his expectation of his experiences, and thus his experience content, which can only be "seeing one city among W and M", i.e. "W or M".

nah. he can expect to have two mutually exclusive experiences.

Two mutually exclusive first person experiences cannot be a first person experience.

I guess you mean, he can expect to have, seen from outside, two mutually exclusive experiences.

So I guess this is just the traditional John Clark's confusion between the 1-1 and 3-1 views.

He will dream of being in Red Square and of having a coffee by the feet of the Lincoln memorial, all in vivid 1p. He will expect both experiences and look forward to them. If he only expected one then he would demand to go half price. Who would book a duplication to Moscow and Washington only expecting to see one?

To explain the error here, sometimes I imagine a guy who win a price: going to Mars, but the law of his country forbid self-annihilation, and so he can only be copied and pasted on Mars. "--No problem" he said, I expect to live both experiences (like you say). OK, so he go in the copy machine, is read, and pasted on Mars. But the "original" on Earth is disappointed, because when he opened the door, in front on me on Earth, he is still on Earth (obviously). He asked: did the copy occur? We told him that "yes" his copy is on Mars. That did not make him happy, as he realized that the one staying on Erath, will just not experience the adventure on Mars. He can intellectually conceive that he survived on Mars through that doppelganger, but that is a meagre consolation as he feel to be only on Earth, and will never got that mars direct first person experience he was wishing for. He understand now that the duplication does not guaranty the direct experience of the copies, but of only one of them. If he repeat that experience, the probability that he stays on Earth will be made small, but never null. Repeating it a lot, the probability tends to 1 - epsilon. But on Erath, we can dialog directly only with the "original", and he can only get more and more frustrated, as he is the one staying on Earth, despite the proba was epsilon.

This double expectancy has nothing to do with confusing 1p 3-he 2-I or p p it just follows from the fact he will be multiplied.

His body and his first person experience are multiplied in the 3-1 view.

His body is multiplied in the 1-views.

But his first person experience is not multiplied in the 1-1 views. That would lead to the exoerience of two mutually exclusive experience, and ... see above.

He can't avoid taking that into account. It will seem odd that these experiences will be separate from one another, particularly while he is in Helsinki where he is just one man, but relative to this situation in Helsinki he WILL expect to have both experiences. And he will be right.

Let us read the diary. In Helsinki he wrote "I expect to have both experiences in the first person sense".

In Moscow, well, he sees only Moscow, and so conclude that he was wrong (even if he sees a video showing that he has successfully been reconstituted in Washington; but he cannot feel the W experience, and that is thus not part of his first experience of seeing a city (the other one is seen only through a video).

Consequently, P(W || M) = 1.

P(W or M) ? Yes, that is correct.

P(W & M) = 1.

That is correct in the 3-1 view, but the question was on the 1-views themselves, and nobody can have the *experience* of two mutually exclusive experiences. As even Clark admits, there are two streams of consciousness, and as I explain, the question concerns the content of the experiences, not the content that we can attribute to them intellectually.

Bruno