> On 4 Nov 2018, at 14:53, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 6:23 AM Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com
> <mailto:cloudver...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > If experience (Galen Strawson, The Subject of Experience) is the result of
> > information (only) processing,
>
> If? If information is not the thing that needs processing to produce
> intelligence then what is?
>
> > then the argument for arithmetical (Platonic) reality holds.
>
> Only if somebody can show how information, or anything else, can be processed
> without using matter that obeys the laws of physics.

Information processing (computation) has been first discovered in arithmetic,
where there is no matter.

The fact that the physical reality is Turing-complete explains how we can build
machine doing it, but unfortunately, if “matter” is taken seriously as
primitive, the person itself can no more be attached to any particular body.

Eventually, it is the very notion of primitive matter, or physicalism, which
needs to be abandonned if we assume Mechanism or Computationalism.

Of course to get this, you need a bit more than the UDA step 3 …

Please, try to convince someone else to explain what is wrong in the step 3, as
you did not succeed in making your point up to now.

> And, despite the existence of books made of dead trees with black squiggles
> made of ink with a high Carbon content pressed onto them, nobody has even
> come close to doing that.

It is born in that way. Study any book in the field. You are confusing everyone
on this.

Bruno