> On 28 May 2019, at 18:56, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 7:16 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> > You have agreed that two identical digital brain, physically realised in
> > different place, doing the same computations, would support one
> > consciousness,
>
> Yes.
>
> > but you keep believing that physics is enough to predict our first person
> > experience.
>
> Physics can never make a good prediction if you don't make clear exactly what
> it is that you want predicted,

My reasoning does not depends on what is predicted. But if you want, we can fix
the thing, and take the experience of dropping a pen, and computing the chance
it falls on he ground.

My point is that you will have to consider all possible implementations of you
in the physical universe, and “worst” in the arithmetical reality, to get the
correct explanation (in the frame of Mechanism of course).

> and neither science nor anything else can predict what the referent is to the
> personal pronouns in your increasingly convoluted thought experiments.
>
> >>If I could prove with mathematical certitude that X caused consciousness
> >>would you say the issue had been put to bed and its time to move on to
> >>other things?
>

> > On the contrary, I prove, in the frame of my working hypothesis, that this
> > is impossible.
>
> Then why don't you stop wasting your time by trying to do something that
> can't be done and try to solve a problem that is not impossible, like
> figuring out how to organize matter in such a way that it behaves
> intelligently?

It needs only to incarnate a universal machine with enough induction axioms. So
that is already done.

I guess much more work is needed to get a entity as stupid as humans, capable
of burning alive its fellows, etc.

Bruno