On 5/28/2019 4:16 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 27 May 2019, at 02:33, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 4:30 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

        >> Nobody knows the answer to the "hard problem of
        consciousness" because nobody knows exactly what the question
        is or what criteria is to be used to determine if its been
        successfully answered.

    > /So you don’t understand it.//
    /

Correct, I don't know the question so I have no way of knowing

There are operational version of the problem, like what would be a criteria to allow a Japanese sexual automaton to get her human clients to be sent in jail for having lack some respect toward IT/HER/HIM.

What's the criteria to allow a Japanese prostitute to get her human clients to be sent in jail for having lack some respect toward IT/HER/HIM?

You have agreed that two identical digital brain, physically realised in different place, doing the same computations, would support one consciousness, but you keep believing that physics is enough to predict our first person experience. Such prediction assumes that we know which computation support us, and that it is unique. This might not been the case, even with physicalism,

Which?... that we don't know which computation supports us or that it is not unique?  The former is almost certainly the case.

Brent

and is provably not the case with mechanism, as arithmetic execute all “Boltzman Brain”, in fact just all computations.

if it's been successfully answered or not and after communicating with you for years I don't think even you what would satisfy you. If I could prove with mathematical certitude that X caused consciousness would you say the issue had been put to bed and its time to move on to other things?

On the contrary, I prove, in the frame of my working hypothesis, that this is impossible.

Bruno

I doubt it, I think you'd say(correctly) that X may cause consciousness but X is not consciousness. And the tail chasing would continuebecause you don't know what exactly you want to know.

    />It is not so astonishing. That explains your lack of interest
    in greek philosophy./

The fact that you ARE interested in Greek philosophy is tacit admission on your part that the field you're so interested in has not advanced one nanometer in 2500 years; after all no modern astronomer would dream of studying Greek astronomical theories with the hope of it helping him in has work because astronomy has advanced light years in the last 2500 years; and the same is also true for medicine and mathematics and physics, but not for Greek philosophy..

    > The worst theologian are those who claim to know the truth.

I agree, and the second worst type of theologian are those that abandon the idea of God but believe they have made a great philosophical discovery by not abandoned the ASCII sequence G-O-D.

John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0dM4Y3eMgYfrXjXze0_f_WPbnK2DC0wWZvBcxDibT2yg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0dM4Y3eMgYfrXjXze0_f_WPbnK2DC0wWZvBcxDibT2yg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/392717A5-046F-4658-A635-473114545A82%40ulb.ac.be <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/392717A5-046F-4658-A635-473114545A82%40ulb.ac.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.