--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> During the period prior to the arrival of 'TBers' from Alt.Med I
> personally preferred the level of intelligent discussions here at
> FFL. Since that time things have tended to get more 'in your face'
> (as they tended to be at alt.med), an attitude that militates against
> confortable casual exchanges. But perhaps Peter is correct when he
> suggested the problem lies in the fact that the core topics about TM
> & MMY have already been dealt with, over and over again.
> However, the notion that FFL is a contest between 'True Believers' &
> those who are opposed to them is poppycock, it is just too simplistic
> a way to look at it. In fact, personally, I find I tend to agree with
> most people who post here at some time or another about something, &
> I sense that others do too. If there is a contest here, it is more
> about who can appear to be smarter than someone else, which is just
> so-o-o-o dull.

WEeelllll....

The stuff that has already been dealt with is often dealt with in a piss-poor
manner.

Let's take the claim that TM research is discredited... For example, in one
court case, a guy
named Denaro gave a sworn affidavit where he claimed that during his time at
MIU as
Grants Director, he came to realize that everyone was a liar, etc.

As one of the contributors to the WIkipedia Transcendental Meditation entry, I
did some
fact-checking. He certainly made these claims...

In 1986, about the 18 month period he spent at MUM in 1975-76, 5 years before
the
school attained accreditation.

Coincidentally, all the research that was bad, wrong, deceptive, etc., that he
encountered,
during his time as Grants Director at MIU amounts to a single study published
by Michael
Dillback in 1977, and I'm not convinced that THAT study was done out of MIU
either.

No other peer reviewed research was published by any researcher assoicated with
MIU at
that time (Dillbeck, Orme-Johnson, Wallace) until 198 after the school was
accredited. The
only studies you'll find are the in-house stuff published in Collected Papers
Vol I, and
everyone agrees that that is a pretty poor source of research material, but
those studies
were published in-house and probably didn't get any grants money so Denaro
rightfully
shouldn't have referred to them as though he knew something about them on a
professional level.

Incidentally, Denaro's sworn 1976 affidavit goes on to say: "In his more subtle
and very
sophisticated way Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and his charlatanism is [sic] a far
more
destructive and dangerous cult leader than Jim Jones who induced more than 900
people
to commit suicide in Guyana."

My impression is, this turns out to be the quality of reference that people
here use to hash
out these points "over and over again."

BTW, Wiki isn't considered the most reliable of online sources of info, and by
Wiki rules,
NONE of the Sexy Sadie files is admissable as a reference because it's not
published
anywhere.