On Jun 21, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

I think that Beethoven and Mozart would have used Finale if it were available back in their day.


This is definitely a generational issue. When I started using Finale in 1991 there was still a whole generation of composers out there who never used a computer for anything, and saw no point in adopting the new technology. Most of them are dead now.

My generation, the boomers, mostly use Finale as an engraving tool--that is, we compose on paper (using piano to test chords, counterpoint etc.), then when everything is done, use Finale to make the fair copy and extract the parts.

I realize that the vast majority of younger composers work directly in Finale, but I confess I cannot even conceive how that could be done smoothly, since I, at least, would find myself constantly distracted by engraving issues (supressing cautionary this'n'that between movements, frinstance) that have no bearing on the act of composition itself.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/

I agree that this is a generational issue, although I'm one of the older crowd (age 61) who has almost completely replaced the pencil and paper with Finale. I find that I can use Finale just like pencil and paper most of the time. I have templates set up ahead of time for various ensembles, so I don't get bogged down at the very start of a piece by those issues. I've worked in Finale long enough now that other notational issues don't really bog me down, although I wouldn't even attempt to do rhythm section parts for playback in Finale. Instead I use MOTU's Digital Performer (DP), my sequencer of choice, for those parts. I find that for some projects I can work completely in Finale, start to finish, and in others I work in DP for playback and then go to Finale for the score and parts. When I do start a project in DP, because of Finale's poor rendering of imported MIDI files, I have to start over from scratch and redo the entire piece in Finale. (I guess I'm one of those who should "open a case" with MM for better MIDI importation.) In an attempt to get better notation features in DP, I've complained about this to MOTU, explaining that I feel that I have to do my work twice. They tell me that I should think of it as doing half my work in DP and half in Finale, but if I'm entering exactly the same music twice in two different programs, that can only mean that I'm doing my work twice. But I've accepted the fact that this is the way I have to work, and have done so for a number of years.

I think the biggest problem with working the way I do is the tendency to write only what can be rendered satisfactorily in Finale or Digital Performer. In other words, I sometimes feel that my writing tends to be too "safe." When I listen to other composers that I admire, such as Maria Newman, or my former composition teacher, Erica Muhl, (both are quite a bit younger than me, BTW) their writing is much more adventurous, because they're writing for the real instruments, rather than a MIDI imitation of those instruments. I'm afraid that young aspiring composers are often falling into this trap without any realization that they're doing it.
********************************************
Lon Price, Los Angeles
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://www.txstnr.com>


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to