Hi James,
I'm not sure how much general mouse experience you have had, but most mouse gamers, users, etc don't need a very large area to move the mouse in. They keep there wrist stationed on there desk and move the mouse to the left or right. If they reach the end of there mouse matt they pick it up, move it left/right, set it down, and then continue in the direction they were moving before. This takes maybe a second to perform. Having tested this with MOTA it takes a second to get the hang of, but works fair enough.

James Dietz wrote:
I'm actually curious to find out how Thomas implemented the mouse to
control the character's running. Would I continuously have to move the
mouse to the right? If so I don't think I'd have a large enough desk
to avoid the need to pick it up occasionally. That'd obviously work
better with a trackball, but I'd rather use a keyboard or joystick for
something like character movement if I'd have to continuously move the
mouse in the direction I want to move.