Hi Bryan,
Those are some very good points/arguments in favor of holstering weapons before picking up items. After all any person using a shotgun is likely to steady it with one hand while using the other to pull the trigger. Another absolutely two-handed weapon is the bow. Your not going to have a hand free if using that weapon. As for the sword I imagine it to be a long sword similar to those used by Xena or Hercules on the television shows.Those certainly can be used one handed.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
Well perhaps if you were using the pistol you could do that but I've never met a shotgun that could be wielded with one hand. And the sword could also be two-handed.
Gabba gabba hey!