To me, what we need is a game, old or new, that we, the blind gamers, have not played before as blind gamers. Travel games of some sort would be nice, but are difficult to produce. A handheld bowling game with audio cues used to accurate determine aiming, pins remaining after every ball bowled, running scoring, multiplayer capability, with graphics for the sighted family members as well, would be difficult to produce. Games of billiards, a Jeopardy game that can be played by blind and sighted alike, just to name a few. Computer remakes of old games for the sighted, with all character names changed to help avoid copyright issues, just so we can get the experience of playing the games we've always been missing out on, would be great. "Pole Position" could be changed to "Leader of the Pack", or something to that effect. "Money Maker" could actually be "Amusement Park", or whatever that game was in which you build an amusement park, including ride layout and design, management, park layout, which vendors to allow or not allow, pricing, and all that stuff. How about an audible version of a game of darts or some fishing? There are loads of games we have never played. If it weren't for the dog goned copyright issues. Some of the ideas seem impossible to reproduce in an accurate audio format, but, then again, I'm not a programmer.
---
Shepherds are the best beasts.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Why can't we get a challenging game for once? wasMOTA

Hi Yohandy,
That is a difficult question to answer. After all there is very little game content that is truly original these days. If I create a game about fighting zombies people would no doubt begin comparing it to Pain Killer and Resident Evil. If I create a halloween game where you have to fight skeletons, vampires, weirwolves, etc someone might compare it to Castlevania. If I create a treasure hunting game the first comparison to come to mind is Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones. On and on we can go right down the line. Sooner or later I always come back to the fact it has all been done several times before with different characters, perhaps a different story, but its still like been there done that. So what can I do that hasn't been done before? Anyway, as for me there are a lot of mainstream games I happen to like, that I have played, would like to play, but aren't very accessible for one reason or another. Most of my desire and inspiration for creating games is based on mainstream titles i happen to like. When you think about it most blind gamers here have never had a chance to play Double Dragon, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Mario Brothers, whatever. What some of us think of as old hat, just another accessible clone of an old mainstream game, is a first real chance for someone else to play. So I don't think absolutely original game content is what this comunity needs right now. Yes, it is nice to have some omore original content, but let's not toss out a game because it is inspired by a mainstream title that a blind player may or not have played before.

Smile.