From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of dark
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 9:10 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] 3D navigation was: The future of Blastbay Studios

Hi.

As regards 3D navigation, ---- in fact navigation in general, as I've said,
i'm probably the worst person you meet, with a biological cause sinse I was
born prematurely and suffered brain damage which has resulted in me having
an attrocious sense of spacial coordination and balance.

Frequently I'll see something or hit it with my cane, ---- but stil walk
into it becauwse my ability to judge distance is so bad. i also find
rotional exercises absolutely awful.

How I manage in 3D games however, is much the same way I manage in actual
life, ---- and perhaps it's a method which would help others.

i physically don't even try to mentally map where I am going, or where the
relation betwene places is. I simply remember landmarks and sets of
directions.

thus in shades of doom, if there is a T junction, I'll mark the passage I
came up, and the passage I go down, ---- then leave the other unmarked. i
thus only have to remember occasions where the path forks, and where there
is more than one choice of direction, --- -then mark those, and remember the

choice I took.

when I've finished down one passage, I retrace my steps until i find
something I've not yet explored, ---- and try that.

also, i make extensive use of the navigation features, and use the various
sizes of chamber as land marks, ---- as well as the audio kews around, ----

and (in sarah), the names of the rooms.

Yes, this method is bizarre, and yes I sometimes get lost, ---- but it does
work for me quite a lot of the time.

It's also how I remember routes in real life, ---- not by remembering actual

directions, but by simply memorizing lists of land marks and what I should
do, ---- eg, turn right when i get to the tactile paving, ---- or when i can

smell a certain coffee shop.

the one game this uttelry fails in is monkey business, firstly because your
running around all over the place looking for those bloody monkies and often

end up getting lost catching them, --, secondly because the areas in the
game seem far more open than in something like shades, and thirdly (and
probably most importantly), i find the navigation keys in monkey business
distinctly unreliable, and not great at showing the environment or
highlighting objects around you.

just my thoughts.

Beware the grue!