Hi Thomas and all.

This is a really interesting topic.  I have noticed over the years of
working with many different people who are blind that the amount of spatial
awareness that they have varies greatly.  As you say, it is possible that
your having had sight helped you to retain this awareness but it is strange,
sometimes people that I work with who were formerly sighted have absolutely
terrible spatial concepts, they can't tell you what a 90 degree angle is,
etc. as one friend of mine says she can get lost in a closet.  It is people
like this who are unfortunately never going to like the complex fps style
games we are talking about, they are going to just walk around in circles
and lose track of where they are and get totally frustrated and give up.  I
am a total myself and have been told by several O and M instructors that I
have unusually good spatial concepts particularly for someone who has never
really seen.  I used to have good light perception when I was a kid, I could
see light and dark and color and track motion but did not have the
resolution to really tell what something was.  I pretty much just ran around
with the sighted kids riding bikes and skateboarding and all the other stuff
they did, so perhaps this has contributed to my spatial awareness, I am not
sure.  In any event, I agree with what you said in another message, I would
definitely like to see even more realism in fps style games where things
like targetting are concerned, games like SOD and tank commander have made
an excellent start and I love them both but there is definitely room for
improvement.  Just as an example, I find the gun ranges on TC to be way too
limited.  The main gun on an Abrams main battle tank has a range of 4 to 5
kilometers if memory serves but you are limited to only 1 kilometer in TC.
Of course, this would mean increasing the size of the sectors which would
not be a bad thing.

Oh well, I've gone on long enough for one email, have a good day everyone.

Game on.

Tom