Hi Rich,
Well, Tomb Raider had both manual and automatic targeting available. The earlier games such as the original game used automatic targeting. However, some of the later games used the number pad to manually sight and target enemies. So this is a case of where both types of targeting have been tried and used in those games. As for myself i think manual targeting is more challenging and realistic. I personally consider automatic targeting something like cheating. I don't even use automatic targeting in GMA Tank Commander as I enjoy being able to control the range and the challenge of trying to line up the shots myself.

Cheers!