Hi Damien,
Shrug. Like I said that isn't the correct way to do it. Especially, if
you want to give a 3d vector to DirectSound. If using DirectSound 8 x
handles left/right movement of the sound, z handles the front/back
movement of the sound, and y positions it up/down. So since that is
how DirectSound handles it doing it any other way would definitely
screw up where sounds are positioned in a virtual 3d audio
environment. I can't really contribute anything more to the topic as
that is just how things are regardless of what people may have told
you otherwise.

Smile.