Hi,
No, x is always horizontal on graph paper. That means running from
left to right. Then y is virtical or up/down in this case. Now, based
on what I just read in the wikipedia article most programmers prefer
to use a right-handed coordinate system with x running east/west, y
north/south, and use z for up/down. If this would make you feel better
I can flip the y and z around to use the right-handed coordinate
system so that z will be your virtical axis when you climb ropes,
staircases, etc but that is a crap load of rewriting I need to do in
order to fix it in the Genesis Engine. grrrrr....