I have to agree.  Honestly.  I can understand why people would want this.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:40 PM
To: Philip Bennefall; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] pro was: Re: programming question

Hi Philip,

Well, I guess this all depends upon your view of what is
important/essential. You are considering joysticks and mice advanced input
features. I don't see it that way. It is my firm believe that all input
devices weather it is a keyboard, joystick, and mouse is equally important.
Weather it is a free or commercial game all should offer mouse and joystick
support just as they would a keyboard. There is a good reason why I feel so
strongly about this.

As you know for many years I was sighted. I grew up on mainstream games for
the Atari and NES. Before I lost my sight I was beginning to get into PC
games. For the better part of 20 years the input device I used most was a
joystick, and during the PC game years I started to get use to the mouse.
Bottom line, I'm most at home with those devices, and find the keyboard
downright clunky and infurior to other game devices. So from my personal
perspective joystick and mouse support is essential to have in any game
regardless of cost.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm pretty sure any customers who are
into mainstream games as I am, those who use consoles like the XBox, will be
extremely disappointed if joysticks and mice are not a standard BGT feature.
It is a case of once exposed to using those devices for game play you don't
want to go back to using keyboards.

The best thing I can suggest, if you are determined to make this a paid
feature, is to remove it from the demo but include it for Light, Single Pro,
and the Unlimited Pro versions. That's the best thing I can come up with.
That way even free games using the Light version has that option.

Let's give a quick example. Let's suppose that someone purchases the light
bersion intending to create free games. Unfortunately, joysticks and mice
are a pro only feature. Now, you are expecting him/her to pay
$99 for that additional feature only to give away free games. I find it a
bit unfair, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers!

> Hi again,
>
> I am really not sure. Isn't it fair to demand that if people want to
> use the more advanced input features that they pay a little extra? I
> really feel as though I am giving away too much, since people can use
> the engine completely free of charge for open source games. One
> compromize might be to allow mouse and joystick support in lite and pro,
but not in the demo. Any thoughts?