Hi Thomas,
Everything I do is on my external hard drive. I have mapped most of the applications on my system to use my external hard drive, since that is where my data is. If a program needs to update itself, it downloads temporarily to my external drive. This is especially the case with my antivirus. All my scheduled downloads, for example podcasts, radio dramas etc, all download to my drive. Servers use data off there. Unplugging that is asking for trouble. It could cause quite a few applications to have hissy fits and I may find error dialogs left right and centre. Anyway, that's slightly off topic. I'm just saying my system is set up to use everything that is connected to it on a more or less permanent basis.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] pro was: Re: programming question

Hi Damien,

Damien wrote:

A game controller and external mouse would fill up three USB ports on
the machine.

My reply:

Ummm...How exactly do you figure that. That's only two ports as far as
I can see. One for the game controller and one for the mouse.

Damien wrote:

I am using
a laptop, which is meant to be portable, I am already connecting an
external hard
drive, keyboard, printer, router and MIDI keyboard. If I had to connect any more
external devices I wouldn't be surprised if it exploded with the
amount of required
power to run everything. Lol.

My reply:

I know the feeling. My laptop is in a similar situation. However, the
most practical answer to that problem is to simply unhook whatever it
is you are not using and hook up your game controller. Sheesh, its not
like you can't do without an external hard drive or midi keyboard for
a couple of hours.

Cheers!

I agree. If a keyboard can be used I think it should be. Especially as I am
using a laptop, which is meant to be portable, I am already connecting an
external hard drive, keyboard, printer, router and MIDI keyboard. If I had to connect any more external devices I wouldn't be surprised if it exploded
with the amount of required power to run everything. Lol.
A game controller and external mouse would fill up three USB ports on the
machine itself and six ports on my external hub, if that gives you an idea.
Regards,
Damien.