To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Reviewing space in audio

Hi Shaun,

I take your point about cost and space, and am well aware of those as
issues for many blind gamers.

For instance, you mention not having enough space for 5.1 speakers and
would have to stack them. The problem with that is you can't stack
those kinds of speakers and have them do what they are designed to do.
We are talking about a large subwoofer that sits on the floor, and
then you have at least five sattlelight speakers you have to spread
apart as evenly as possible. You will have two rear speakers, two
front speakers, and a center, plus the subwoofer itself. The way I
have my speakers set up I have the two front and two rear speakers
sitting on all four corners of my desk, and the center is sitting on a
shelf above my monitor. The subwoofer, which provides the base, is
sitting on the floor below my desk. Since everything is evenly spread
out when ever I am playing a game like Tank Commander or Shades of
Doom I get full surround sound output because I am able to hear if a
sound is coming from the rear left, rear right, front left, front
right, or center. It only works if your speakers are evenly spread
apart like I have it spread out on my desk.

Which brings me back to the point. I realise that this takes a lot of
space as well as money. I paid around $125 for the speakers I have
now, and they have been very very good speakers. Plus I disabled the
cheapo sound card in my desktop and replaced it with a Soundblaster
Audegy IV with 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound support which was another
$125 or so. So my total upfront investment for my gaming machine was
$250 to get a decent quality sound for games. Most VI gamers aren't
going to fork over that kind of money since they are usually on
assisted living like SSI, SSDI, etc.