What a bubble buster you are. Hmm. Sounds like a game on the Pac Mate. It doesn't bother me, though, because you make good points, as usual. Thanks.

---
Laughter is the best medicine, so look around, find a dose and take it to heart. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] disrespect for gamers: was Re: Lunimals version 2.5b

Hi Charles,

I hate to burst your bubble but I can think of several older games I
once played in the 90's on Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Dos that will
not, can not, and can't be made to run properly on Windows 7.

For instance, I had a  collection of pinball games that played in MS
Dos.  I loved those games. If you clicked on the icon in Windows 3.1
or Windows 95 it would exit Windows and load the games in Dos. The
games seemed to work fine clear up to Windows 98.  I tried them on
Windows XP using Dos EMU, Dosbox, etc and they just wouldn't run at
all. I sincerely doubt trying them on Windows 7 would be any better.

In a very  memerable case I once tried playing an old Dos version
ofWheel of Fortune on Windows XP. When I ran wheel.exe thegame asked
for my name, selected a puzzle, and then selected the computer player
as player 1.  Next thing I heard was the Wheel of Fortune music
playing at an extremely fast rate and happily told me that player 1
had completed the puzzl, and then crashed giving me some error
message. In all I think from start of game to the crash the game ran
perhaps two or three seconds. It definitely wasn't made to run on
Windows XP and a 1.2 GHZ processor  that's for sure.

The issue isn't just limited to Dos games either. I have a number of
games that worked fine on Windows 95, but I can't get them to run on
Windows 7 for various reasons. One game in particular, Star Trek Borg,
was one of my favorites, but because it wasn't regularly maintained
won't runon  anything  beyond Windows 98, and only then if you have
the upgrade from the Windows 95 version to the 98 version. Otherwise
it won't run on anything else.

So while some here might think my fears are baseless I've got good
reason for feeling exactly as I do. I have seen my share of Dos and
Windows games become less and less compatible with newer versions of
Windows   precisely do to the fact that the developers chose not to
upgrade, patch, or maintain their  games even when it  became  clear
they wouldn't run on newer platforms.

HTH

Are there games that are designed to be played using DOS that absolutely
cannot be played on most systems? How long ago was it said that DOS would be no more? How about a paperless society with the advent of being able to
send files to one another?  We now use more paper than ever before.

---