That's very true when it comes to mainstream emulators.  I was making the
assumption that people from the audio games community would be responsible for
programming the emulators.  In a case like that, accessibility would of course
be the central theme.  There are some pretty skilled programmers around here,
and I think many would jump at the chance to write a single program to become
the hero, who reunited everyone with their favorite games which were no longer
compatible.  Just my assumption, of course.