Hi Jeremy,

I'm not sure how old you are or what your experience is with
mainstream games in general, but let me give you a little bit of
background on why I am so extremely concerned about your decision
here. However, first, let me just say my fears about VB 6 apps not
running on Windows X may or may not be unfounded, but I have a
lifetime of practical experience that tells me that  basing all of
your projects on an outdated language like VB 6 is not a wise
decision. Here is why.

I started out on the Atari 2600 clear back in the 1980's, moved onto
the NES in the late 80's, and eventually to Dos and Windows in the
90's. While you are perfectly right to argue that there are  good
Atari, NES, and Dos emulators that will play most of those older games
I also know those are not perfect solutions. I've lost count of the
number of the games I use to play that aren't compatible with any
emulator, and won't run on Windows 7 just because of one reason or
another. Its that fear of seeing this same thing happen to the
accessible games market why I choose to try and insure my code is as
up to date and compatible with the current operating systems as
possible, and hope to  prevent  my fellow developers from making what
I see as a big mistake.

As a developer the last thing I would want to do is have to rewrite
all of my games from scratch, because  I chose badly and based my
games on an older outdated technology. For instance, lets assume I
went out and purchased a new netbook with an arm processor. As willem
has accurately explained it is not compatible with the Intel x86 and
x64 processors so those apps won't run on that  netbook without being
recompiled.  If I used VB 6 I couldn't target arm processors
specifically because Microsoft doesn't offer  VB 6 libraries for that
target platform. I  would be forced into rewriting the entire game or
application from scratch to support that target platform all because I
didn't  take that into consideration ahead of time. There are a number
of other choices I could have made like .Net, Java, or C++ that would
allow me to quite easily adapt to the change without a lot of
unnecessary work. This is exactly the sort of problem I  foresee
comming in the not to distant future. Which poses a question.

You say that when things change you will  reconsider  your position,
and change the way you do things. Fair enough, but  does that mean
that you will rewrite and update every single game you have written to
insure they all work on the new target platform or will you decide  to
abandon all your older games and start over with new games?

That's not an easy decision for a developer, and not one I would take
lightly if I were you. You have written some truly decent games, and
I'd hate to see you abandon them if it so happens  they are no longer
compatible with Windows X or the new netbooks with arm processors. At
the same time I wouldn't want to be the one who had to rewrite all  of
those games from scratch since they weren't written with a little more
 future consideration beyond the current status quo  in mind. Maybe my
concerns are right or they are wrong, but is it really worthth taking
that risk?