Hi Charles.
What you say is partially correct. However in theory it is more
complecated. Programmers use libraries, which are basicly segments of
a program, like the direct x dll's windows 7 users have to copy over
from an xp machine. If these libraries are not maintained, they simply
stop working with new operating systems. This is where using the older
visual basic  becomes a problem for the end user. Microsoft realized
that there were serious flaws in the concept of visual basic as it
was, and created a new language called vb  dot net, with similar
sintax for writing programs. Because Microsoft controls development,
the chances of an update for newer operating systems is 0. If it was a
more open standard, like java, python or freeBasic, I'm sure there
would be further development by users. This is why I would also not
recommend going .net, as microsoft could ditch it any time they feel
it is not profetable enough.

some old programs still work on windows. As an example, I have a mud
client that was written in 1995, which runs without a hitch on my
windows 7 64 bit machine, 15 years after the developer stopped
development, so age is not always a good  indecator weather a program
would work, there are many factors involved.