Hi Charles,

Smile. You have definitely  raised several good points, and let me
say that programmers have asked the same types of questions and have
designed a few solutions for the problem. These days a majority of
software is moving towards    languages like  C# .Net, Java, and
Python precisely because those languages run  atop a   virtual
machine, runtime environment, that acts as the middleman between your
application and the  operating  system.   The idea being that if there
is  a compatible runtime environment for your platform the application
should run on that system without being recompiled regardless of type
of CPU or operating system. Sun Micro System's Star Office is a prime
example of a popular business application written in pure Java that
runs on Mac, Linux, Solaris, and Windows  without requiring separate
builds for each.  It is for that exact kind of portability why
Microsoft   converted Visual Basic to the .Net platform as to be able
to  write once and target any CPU or platform on demand without a lot
of  rewriting, compiling, or updating in mind. While I'm sure
Microsoft didn't intend this its possible to run some VB .Net apps on
Linux and Mac using the Mono Framework, an open source clone of .Net,
which is more or less  compatible with  apps compiled for ther .Net
2.0 and .Net 3.0 frameworks. Although, C# .Net is generally the
language of choice for people using Mono to develope cross-platform
applications.

However, the bottom line here is that there are realistic work arounds
for the problem being developed. Its there for the taking if a
developer wants to use those technologies. Its exactly for that reason
that older languages like VB 6 are dying out among professionals, and
are rapidly being replaced by alternatives like .Net.  Its not just a
matter of this is new and VB 6 is old, but in todays world it makes
sense to try and adopt a technology like Java or C# .Net that allows
you to design something that is more or less cross-platform compatible
and resolve the problem of what CPU, operating system, etc to support
by accessing   it  through a  runtime environment rather than the
target platform directly.

Here is a great example of this in action. I don't know if you know
this but the 7128 games, their gamebook is written in Java. One day I
was curious if it would run on Linux so I installed Java 1.4.2, built
and installed  the Java  Access Bridge for Linux, and ran the 7128
gamebook. It ran with no problems on Linux. Although, 7128 have
specific Mac and Windows versions I've discovered with a little work
their games can be made to run on Linux too. Its a bit harder to make
a game written in VB 6 run on Linux as it  requires a Windows emulator
like wine, a boat load of dependencies to be installed, and even then
there are cases like Shades of Doom that will  crash under wine for no
apparent reason.

Cheers!