Jim has done a great job with homer as a remake including difficulty. The only thing I think he's missing are the ladders, and adding those in another game, along with sounds for when you were at the edge of a ledge and when you'd need to turn around and find a ladder might be very possible.

funnily enough I've only played the original on the gameboy version, and have played far more of donkey Kong jr, it's sequal.

i did toy with the idea of buying the nes classics version for the gba, but sort of went off the idea when i discovered how few levels it has, unlike for instance ice climbers or castlevania (some of the other nes classics games I own.

Beware the grue!