Hi Brian.

I'd be interested to know more about your project of using audio games (that's the term), in their relation to cognition myself.

To answer your question, there are several very good examples of audio fps games. probably the best well known is shades of doom from www.gmagames.com, an audio game who's atmosphere and setting are losely based on the doom series.

Others are around, for instance terraformers from pin interactive, and Sarah, a first person adventure game set in the harry potter universe produced by pcs games, www.pcsgames.net, but shades is probably the most typical example and a good place to start.

As regards games like starcraft, well mostly for mmorps, people will play online in brouser based games such as kingdom of loathing or core exiles, which run with screen readers, or muds, multiplayer text based interactive fiction style games (though some have such extensive soundpacks they might be considdered audio games in their own right).

that being said, there has been a recent spate of audio stratogy games.

One example for instance which might be good to examine if your interested in the presentation of information could be gmagames time of conflict.

This is a modern war stratogy game, where you command hundres of units, yet it has a very revolutionary system of context sensative menues to aide audio viewing of the maps, for instance instead of requiring an overview of all units, you can go to a map square (or another friendly or enemy unit), and hit a couple of keys to get a list of what's closest.

There are then several others, such as sound rts and the recently developed dwarf fortress like game castaways.

These however are very much stratogy rather than mmorp, and thus far there are no full online worlds entirely in audio, though s I said, some muds come close.

For more information on audio games generally and some overviews of what is available, you might want to check out www.audiogames.net, and www.pcsgames.net.

Both provide extensive lists of what games are around, with pcs providing a huge list of websites as an overview, and audiogames having a gamefaqs like searchable database with descriptions and genre classifications.

Hth.

All the best,

Dark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "brian glass" <brigl...@gmail.com>