Hi Brian,

Sure. Basically, there are small maps and large campaign maps to
select from. If you select one of the small practice  maps those can
usually be won or lost in an hour or two. The really huge campaign
maps can take several days to complete.

It also depends on difficulty level. The easiest difficulty level
makes things simpler for someone learning the game and battles and
campaigns tend to be over and done with a lot quicker because they
often deal with single unit engagements. The highest difficulty level
is obviously much harder to play and is geared for long term strategy
and massive air, ground, and sea engagements containing multiple units
at once. For your study the easiest difficulty with some of the
smaller maps would suit you nicely.

Cheers!