First, to address Dark:

I do take your point about Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Combat,
but I take that point only to a point. I understand the different game
mechanics, the different button presses and how they affect the
fighters movements differently in each game, but I'm not talking about
microcosmic views on the games. What I mean is that you, the player,
press specific, predetermined sequences of controls, in realtime,
which trigger calculations based on the position of your character and
his opponent or opponents, possibly throw in some random chance, and
result in a punch to the face. the specifics are different, but even
these rise and fall throughout different games in the serieses.
Sometimes, these specific control schemes even differ in the same
game. Tekken 6, for example, has a 3d arena that's playyed in like a
2d, movement largely forward and back, with jumps and such, but it has
stages played in true 3d style, with commands to switch to a 2d
interface if that's what you need to have to fight.

It's more about that we can have games with similar control schemes
yet that are very, very different based on content. For example, if
you just picked up your controller, judged timing, threw a little
guesswork in there for luck, and won, it'd be less satisfying if you
didn't care anything about the fighter you're playing. You do, though,
because of character history, cut scenes, commentary, even little
snippets, brief voiced parts that give you some small idea of the
character in question. In this way, our games lack, because we get
really worried about size versus playability. It's frankly unfair to
us, because mainstream titles nowadays are on dvd media, which has
gigabytes of room: rom for code, sounds, voice clips, fully
orchestrated music, and what have you. We start worrying if our games
get bigger than, say, 50 megabytes. I understand the concern, I get
the reasons behind it, but it still results in games with less to
compel you, the player, to give a hoot, as my wife might say, about
the character at all.

Fortunately, Perilous Hearts, among other titles, seems to be taking
this problem firmly in hand, and that's already given me a great deal
of confidence that I'd enjoy the game, even if the gameplay was
horrible, the systems were flawed, and the price outrageous, which
won't be the case.

I'm going to say it just once more, because I've lost count of how
many times I've said it, and it provides the amusement of being
embarrassed for me to do it once more. Content makes a game nowadays.
Story makes a product. That's the difference between the dungeon
crawlers of the eighties and the Elder Scrolls or Fable or any of the
other RPG titles of today. Content, story, that's what creates
success. That's not to do with interface or how we use information.
I've known many people that will read a terribly written book if the
plot is great. I'm one of those people myself.

I know it sounds like I'm unsatisfied with our games right now, what
we have going on. Truthfully, I'm not. I play as many games as I can,
enjoying all of the ones i have on my computer. It's just that the
games in future can be even greater. And I have to appologize for the
harshness of how this is going to come across. People say that they
can't find voice talent, or that they can't find talent with similar
recording conditions. Frankly, at this point, that's just a little
lazy. There are literally thousands of aspiring voice actors out there
who'd literally leap at the chance to do just about anything for a
game, just for kudos and credits, something they can show people.
Surely, in all of those thousands, there are some who would meet the
developer's idea of good casting and good recording, or maybe the devs
could say "I can't handle all of this work. If you do the casting, do
the sounds, or what have you, I'll pay you. How about a free copy of
the game."

Frankly, if I was approached with something like that I'd jump on it,
and it'd free the dev up to do developing work, for which I'm utterly
useless.

Just keep all of this in mind, awesome developers, as you keep up the
good work, and try not to be too mad at me if I've crossed a line or
stood on a toe.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard