Hi Decota.

I'm afraid your description about a microcosm of the games differences isn't correct.

saying fighting games are the same because characters punch eash other in the face is like saying all card games are the same because they use 52 playing cards, so generic as to not matter.

while I fully agree with you that ambience, plot, cutscenes etc make a huge difference, these aren't everything. look at a game like chillingham as an example. relatively good acting, semi decent music, fully self voicing, but no replay value at all!

The games system also has to matter.

Look at super marrio brothers. A very simple game with a rather illogical plot and characters which are more convenient and fun than actually serious, yet it has some of the best mechanical play ever seen in a platformer, and there are people playing it even now 25 years after it was made!

As regards space, I'm less convinced it's just the dvd media that makes the difference at all. Graphics afterall take up far more space than audio for a start.

As we've said before give an audio game dev the same amount of money and resources as a mainstream game, and you'd have something similarly amazing on your hands. Comparing audio games to indi graphical games with a similar budgit and resources is far more fair.

Here there is stil a disparity, but not quite as huge.

Beware the grue!